- January 2017: Jun's paper "PitchIn: Eavesdropping via Intelligible Speech Reconstruction using Non-Acoustic Sensor Fusion"
will appear at IPSN 2017.
- December 2016: Jun's paper "Convoy: Physical Context Verification for Vehicle Platoon Admission" will
appear at HotMobile 2017.
- August 2016: Yuan's paper "Swords and Shields – A Study of Mobile Game Hacks and Existing Defenses" will
appear at ACSAC 2016.
- February 2016: Congratulations to Le Nguyen on the successful defense of his PhD dissertation!
- July 2015: Brian's paper "Isolation of Multiple Anonymous Attackers in Mobile Networks" will
appear at NSS 2015.
- July 2015: Yuan's paper "Supporting Privacy-Conscious App Update Decisions with User Reviews", in
collaboration with Bin Liu, Weisi Dai, Blase Ur, Patrick Tague, and Lorrie Faith Cranor, will appear at SPSM 2015, part of ACM CCS 2015.
- June 2015: Le's papers "I Did Not Smoke 100 Cigarettes Today! Avoiding False Positives in Real-World
Activity Recognition", "Recognizing New Activities with Limited Training Data", and "SuperAD: Supervised Activity Discovery", all in
collaboration with Ming Zeng, Patrick Tague, and Joy Zhang, will appear at co-located events UbiComp,
ISWC, and HASCA 2015.
- June 2015: Congratulations to Eric Chen on the successful defense of his PhD dissertation!
- April 2015: Bruce's paper "Is Your Commute Driving you Crazy? A Study of Misbehavior in Vehicular
Platoons", in collaboration with Sean Weerakkody and Bruno Sinopoli, will appear at WiSec 2015.
- April 2015: Congratulations to Bruce DeBruhl on the successful defense of his PhD dissertation! Bruce will join
the CS faculty at Cal Poly SLO this fall!
- March 2015: Yu Seung's paper "A Jamming Approach to Enhance Enterprise Wi-Fi Secrecy through Spatial Access
Control", in collaboration with Heejo Lee and Hyogon Kim, will appear in the Wireless Networks journal.
- November 2014: Congratulations to Yu Seung Kim on the successful defense of his PhD dissertation!
- October 2014: Our project submission "Dynamically Controling IoT Privacy Risks and Trade-offs with Fog Mediation" was selected as
one of four winners of the Cisco IoT Security Grand Challenge! The project is
based on work by Emmanuel Owusu and Sean Wang.
- August 2014: Sean's paper "Non-Invasive User Tracking via Passive Sensing: Privacy Risks of Time-Series Occupancy
Measurement" was accepted to appear at AISec 2014.
- August 2014: The paper "A5: Automated Analysis of Adversarial Android Applications" by Tim Vidas, Jiaqi Tan,
Jay Nahata, Chaur-Lih Tan, Nicolas Christin, and Patrick was accepted to appear
at SPSM 2014.
- July 2014: The paper "OAuth Demystified for Mobile Application Developers" by Eric Chen, Yuan Tian, Yutong Pei, Robert
Kotcher, Shuo Chen, and Patrick was accepted to appear at CCS 2014.
- July 2014: Yu Seung's and Bruce's paper "JADE: Jamming-Averse Routing on Cognitive
Radio Mesh Networks" was accepted to appear at CRESS 2014.
- July 2014: Yu Seung's paper "Proximity-Based Wireless Access Control through Considerate Jamming" was accepted to
appear at SPME 2014.
- July 2014: Patrick has been promoted to Associate Research Professor.
- July 2014: The paper "PrivateDroid: Private Browsing Mode for Android" by students Su Mon Kywe, Christopher Landis, Yutong Pei, and
Justin Satterfield, in collaboration with Yuan and Patrick, will appear at
- June 2014: Le's and Yu Seung's paper "IdentityLink: User-Device Linking through Visual and RF-Signal
Cues" was accepted to appear at UbiComp 2014.
- June 2014: Yu Seung's and Yuan's paper "LAPWiN: Location-Aided
Probing for Protecting User Privacy in Wi-Fi Networks", in collaboration with Le Nguyen, was accepted to appear at
- May 2014: Bruce's paper "Power Napping with Loud Neighbors: Optimal Energy-Constrained Jamming
and Anti-Jamming", in collaboration with Christian Kroer, Anupam Datta, Tuomas Sandholm, and Patrick Tague
will appear at WiSec 2014.
- April 2014: CMU-SV is a mobile network operator. Read more about our CROSSMobile project at crossmobile.info.
- February 2014: Yuan's paper "All Your Screens Are Belong to Us: Attacks Exploiting the HTML5
Screen Sharing API", in collaboration with Kate Liu, Amar Bhosale, David Huang, Patrick Tague, and
Collin Jackson was accepted to appear at Oakland 2014!
- January 2014: Our paper "Energy-Governed Resilient Networked Systems", written collaboratively by
Arjun Athreya, Harry Chan-Maestas, Ed Katz, Patrick Tague, and Bob
Iannucci, won the Best Student Paper Award at CCNC 2014! [CMU-SV News]
- December 2013: Arjun has tranferred to UIUC to continue his PhD studies under the supervision
of Prov. Ravi Iyer. We wish Arjun continued success in the next step of his journey.
- October 2013: Arjun's paper "Energy-Governed Resilient Networked Systems", written
collaboratively with Harry Chan-Maestas, Ed Katz, Patrick Tague, and Bob Iannucci, will appear at
- September 2013: Arjun's, Bruce's, and Patrick's
paper "Designing for Self-Configuration and Self-Adaptation in the Internet of Things" will appear at the
C-IoT Workshop as part of CollaborateCom 2013.
- July 2013: Yu Seung's and Bruce's paper "MeshJam: Intelligent
Jamming Attack and Defense in IEEE 802.11s Wireless Mesh Networks" will appear at
MASS 2013. Yu Seung will also present a poster "Wireless Mesh
Network Simulator for Studying Cross-Layer Jamming Effects" at the conference.
- July 2013: The paper "Resistance is Not Futile: Detecting DDoS Attacks without Packet Inspection" written
collaboratively by Arjun, Sean, Yu Seung,
and Yuan will appear at WISA 2013.
- May 2013: Yuan's and Yu Seung's paper, "UnLocIn: Unauthorized
Location Inference on Smartphones without Being Caught", written in collaboration with Le Nguyen, Sungho Cho, Wookjong
Kwak, and Sanjay Parab, will appear at PRISMS 2013.
- April 2013: Arjun's paper "Network Self-Organization in the Internet of Things" will
appear at the IoT-NC workshop in conjunction with
- April 2013: Yu Seung, Yuan, and Le Nguyen will present poster
"LAPWiN: Location-Aided Probing in Wi-Fi Networks" and Arjun, Yu Seung,
Sean, and Yuan will present poster "Packet Conductance for Statistical
Intrusion Detection in Anonymous Networks" at Oakland 2013.
- March 2013: Bruce's paper "How to Jam Without Getting Caught: Analysis and Empirical
Study of Stealthy Periodic Jamming" and Sean's paper "ASIA: Accelerated Secure In-network
Aggregation in Vehicular Sensing Network" will both appear at SECON 2013.
- January 2013: Yu Seung's and Bruce's paper "Stochastic Optimization of
Flow-Jamming Attacks in Multichannel Wireless Networks" will appear at ICC 2013.
- January 2013: CMU INI student Shrikant Adhikarla's and ECE student Min Suk Kang's paper "Selfish Manipulation of Cooperative
Cellular Communications via Channel Fabrication", in collaboration with Patrick Tague, will appear at
- December 2012: Congratulations to Yu Seung for receiving the Bertucci Fellowship from the CMU
College of Engineering! Also, cheers to John and Claire Bertucci for their generosity in establishing this graduate fellowship.
- November 2012: Arjun's paper "Self-Organization of a Mesh Hierarchy for Smart Grid Monitoring in Outage Scenarios" will
appear at ISGT 2013.
- August 2012: Welcome to ECE PhD student Yuan Tian!
- July 2012: Bruce's and Yu Seung's paper "STIR-ing the Wireless
Medium with Self-Tuned, Inference-Based, Real-Time Jamming", co-authored with Zack Weinberg, was accepted to appear at
- April 2012: Congratulations to Yu Seung for passing the ECE Qualifying Exam!
- April 2012: Bruce's paper "Living with Boisterous Neighbors: Studying the Interaction of
Adaptive Jamming and Anti-Jamming" will appear in the D-SPAN
workshop as part of WoWMoM 2012.
- April 2012: CMU ECE students Jason Wu, Lin Qi, Nishant Kumar, and Ram Shankar Siva Kumar, in collaboration with Patrick Tague,
will present a demo of their work "S-SPAN: Secure Smart Posters in Android using NFC" at WoWMoM
- April 2012: Bruce will present a poster "STIR-ing the Wireless Medium with Self-Tuned, Inference-Based,
Real-Time Jamming" at WiSec 2012.
- February 2012: Bruce and Yu Seung will present two demos, "A Toolbox to
Explore the Interaction of Adaptive Jamming and Anti-Jamming" and "Jamming-resistant Distributed Path Selection on Wireless Mesh
Networks", at INFOCOM 2012. Sean will also present a
poster "Formalizing Trust in Paths for Multi-path Routing".
- February 2012: Yu Seung's paper "Carving Secure Wi-Fi Zones with Defensive Jamming" was accepted to
appear at AsiaCCS 2012.
- January 2012: Yu Seung's paper "All Your Jammers Belong to Us - Localization of Wireless Sensors
UnderJamming Attack", co-authored with Frank Mokaya and Eric Chen, was accepted to appear at ICC
- January 2012: Bruce's paper "Mitigation of Periodic Jamming in a Spread Spectrum System by Adaptive
Filter Selection" was accepted to appear in the SANES special session of PECCS 2012.
- December 2011: Patrick is the recipient of the NSF CAREER award for 2012-2017 for the project
"Inference-Based Adaptation Techniques for Next Generation Jamming and Anti-Jamming Capabilities"
UW EE Announcement].
- November 2011: Congratulations to Bruce for passing the ECE Qualifying Exam!
- October 2011: "ShortMAC: Efficient Data-Plane Fault Localization", co-authored by
Xin Zhang, Zongwei Zhou,
Tiffany Hyun-Jin Kim, Adrian
Perrig, and Patrick, was accepted to appear at
- October 2011: Arjun's paper "Survivable Smart Grid Communication: Smart-Meter Meshes to the
Rescue" was accepted to appear at the SGCom workshop as part of ICNC 2012.
- August 2011: Welcome to ECE PhD student Sean Wang!
- May 2011: Arjun's poster "Towards Secure Multi-path Routing for Wireless Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks:
A Cross-layer Strategy" was accepted at SECON 2011.
- April 2011: Bruce has been awarded a 3-year fellowship from the National Defense Science and
Engineering Graduate fellowship program (NDSEG). For more details of the award and Bruce's
research, see the announcement posted on the ECE and
- April 2011: Bruce's paper "Digital Filter Design for Jamming Mitigation in 802.15.4
Communication" was accepted to appear at ICCCN 2011.
- January 2011: Welcome to ECE PhD student Arjun Athreya!
- November 2010: Patrick presented the paper "Improving Anti-Jamming Capability and
Increasing Jamming Impact with Mobility Control" at the WSNS 2010
workshop at MASS 2010.
- October 2010: Bruce presented the poster "Inferring Complex Human Behavior Using
a Non-obtrusive Mobile Sensing Platform", co-authored with Michele Cossalter, Ole Mengshoel, and Pei Zhang from CMU and Roy Want
from Intel Labs, at MobiCASE 2010.
- September 2010: Bruce presented the poster "Random Jamming Mitigation through
Filtering" at the CyLab Corporate Partners' Conference.
- August 2010: Welcome to ECE PhD student Yu Seung Kim!
- April 2010: Patrick is co-chair of the upcoming Workshop on Mobile
Security associated with MobiCASE 2010.
- January 2010: Welcome to ECE PhD student Bruce DeBruhl!
- Fall 2009: The WNSS group was established at Carnegie Mellon University's
Silicon Valley campus.
- August 2009: Patrick joined Carnegie Mellon University as a faculty member in CyLab,
INI, and ECE in Silicon Valley.